About

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Shop My Closet

So you know how I really really know I'm not having any more babies (well other than biologically speaking, it would take a small miracle)? I'm getting rid of my maternity clothes.

Like right now.

Wanna buy my coat? You'll totally look like her
The last go around, I held on to my maternity clothes for a long time. I had some really good pieces and wanted to use them again. But then we decided to live with our one-child state and I gave away my maternity clothes - all of them... one week before I found out I was pregnant with Isla.

Yes, you read that right. One week before. Life is funny like that, huh?

Anyway, I'm sure it won't be a total shocker to you that I had no problems rebuilding my maternity wardrobe and I think overall, I did pretty well. I discovered the ASOS maternity shop online and visited the Top Shop maternity section when I did a business trip to NYC. And of course my dear H&M maternity. Love it. Indeed, there are many pieces I wish I could make work in my postpartum state. Other than my maternity pants... which...sigh...still work just fine. Hrmph.

So maybe it's my fashion ego or maybe it's my desire to start building a new "2012 mom of 2 wardrobe" (hey, that's a thing) but I feel like others might be interested in my maternity wardrobe and why can't I make a little cash on the side to fund the new duds?

So to Craigslist I have gone and yesterday posted a few of my favourites, pictured here for your viewing pleasure.

One of my have pieces from H&M
I have done a lot of Craigslisting in the last couple years. I have bought great pieces - like Archer's barely used Stokke crib or Thomas the Train playtable we got him for Christmas (why are these over $250 new, people, why??) and I have sold some good stuff too - notably splurge purses and coats. It makes an expensive purchase more palatable and it's good for the environment, right? It's recycling. Oh yes it is.

I have found the secret to a successful Craigslist posting to be as follows:

1. A good picture. Where you can, find the picture of the original new piece online. Taking a picture of the piece yourself never does it justice. But finding the retail picture can be hard since things turn-over so quickly in stores and online. If you think you have bought a piece you may want to sell again, why not take a copy of that picture then and save it for future use?

2. Think about your description. Of course, include all the basic info - size, colour - but add some colour to your description. How many times did you wear it (worn twice is a phrase sadly I've been able to use a little too often)? What kind of uses might one make of the item? Is it for work? For a party dress? If it is a designer piece make sure you mention it in the headline - it will jump out.

Sexy Mama Dress For Almost Nothing!
3. If you're selling a bunch of pieces, I recommend against lumping them all in one posting. They get lost amongst the thousands of other postings. Not everything you have is worth selling either (am I the only one that gets grossed out by people selling like maternity bras or pyjamas?). But for those that are worth selling - particularly coats, bags, designer pieces - post individually or sell a couple pieces together (like buy 2 for $40 or 1 for $25).

4. Make sure your pieces are clean and for coats offer to dry clean or discount if you don't.

5. If you haven't got a hit on Craigslist in the first couple days of posting, try Kijiji or even your mom Meetup group message board.

Tomorrow my first "customer" is coming to pick up her purchase and it will be both with a little pride but also a little sadness that I will part with the piece. It will be the end of an era... but also the beginning of another.

Bring it.

No comments:

Post a Comment