About

Thursday, August 6, 2009

100 Mile Beauty

Right now the concept of buying local food - the so-called 100 Mile Diet - is all the rage. Heck, on a recent day-trip to Creemore (the self-proclaimed "Tuscany of Canada), there was a whole store dedicated to 100-Mile food. It was actually pretty great - you should check it out.

But I digress.

For the downtown mama, I suggest we embrace a sort of 100 Mile Beauty diet. And when I say "100" Mile, I really mean like 1 mile, maybe 2 Mile Diet. In my pre-Archer days, I would literally go to the ends of the earth to find the right hairstylist, the right place to get a massage, or a fancy spa for a pedi-mani.

Boy was I dumb.

Since having Archer, in addition to not having the funds to support what some (read: husband) might call my self-indulgent beauty habits, I don't have the time or quite frankly the inclination to get Archer all packed up in the car to make a trip to a salon or spa that is relatively far away and never has free parking. In addition, it should come as no surprise that it is difficult to find any bargains at said salons or spas.

This is where embracing some more local options comes into play.

Have you ever noticed, Toronto folks, the number of hair salons along west Dundas? I bet you're actually quite oblivious to them - you sort of block them out as you go along in the street car or your own car. But next time you go, count the number of hair salons between Landsowne and Ossington. Although I haven't done the official count, there are well over 15. It's actually pretty crazy. Without stereo-typing (or maybe I am, I'm not sure), these salons tend to service the people in the neighborhood who lived there before all the gentrifying hipsters moved in. You rarely hear English being spoken at said salons.

So what's our problem downtown mamas? I recently tried one of these salons - Fila - which is at College and Dufferin for a wash and style and now they're pretty much my new best friends. For $30 I got a superb wash n' style (they have the best straightening iron I've ever met - and trust me, I've met them all) at a place that's easy to walk to, and is totally flexible in terms of appointment times - *essential for a new mom. Most of these places will allow walk-ins so you can go when it works for you. This, as you know, never happens at the salons we all frequented pre-baby. And everyone is so nice there! No attitude, whatsoever.

And can you beat the price of $30 for a wash n' style that lasts upwards of 5 days (or maybe 7 - don't judge)? Didn't think so.

The same goes for the beloved pedi-mani. Many downtown mamas have already discovered what New Yorkers always knew - you really shouldn't pay more than $40 (usually...ahem...cash) for a pedi-mani and you should *never need an appointment. These cheep and cheerful spots are popping up all over the city. I have found a $35 pedi-mani at a place on Roncesvalles (next to the Revue Cinema) and a friend recently told me about one on Bloor near Landsdown for $30 if you cut the coupon from her weekly community newspaper. No, you're not going to hear the spa sounds of rain or birds or smell the essential Aveda-esque oils, but you usually get a massaging chair for your pedi and television to watch (have you noticed the re-occurring theme of tv in my blogs? it's sad, I know) and these places are usually very clean and healthy. If you're unsure or in any way uncomfortable, you can always bring your own nail file.

And I like supporting the local neighbourhood businesses. It's not exactly equivalent to the benefits the earth gets from the 100-Mile Diet but it seems right to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment