About

Monday, August 17, 2009

Travellin' DM Style


So if you've been keeping up with this blog, you'll know that Archer and I just got back from our first ever trip. Just him and me, all the way to Winnipeg to visit family, airplane and all.

Recipe for disaster? Could have been but I made sure to talk to lots of moms before I left to get some good tips and then further refined them based on my experience ('cause you know I have *so much now that he's a whole 12 weeks old). Here are some of them:


1. If you're flying on the points you may have collected before-baby, I would *highly recommend - particularly if it's just you and your little dude - upgrading to Business Class for your first trip. On Air Canada it's usually just an extra 10k points and despite the fact that you may get some evil looks from businessmen (still sadly mostly men), it's *so much more comfortable than economy. I wouldn't pay for a Business Class ticket (does anyone pay for Business Class, btw?) but spend your points this way. You get to avoid line-ups at the ticketing counter, and if you fly super early like I did, there might be an extra seat for your travelling companion. Make sure you ask the desk about the extra seat when you get to the gate.

2. If you have this kind of stroller, bring your car seat and attach it to the stroller for the trip. That way if you get the extra seat, you'll actually get to use it. Airlines won't let you have it unless you have the car seat. Plus, you'll likely need it when you get off the plane.

3. Plan your packing well ahead of time and if this is a first time trip for you and baby and you are visiting family BRING AN EXTRA SUITCASE. Sorry to e-yell but this is big point. Even if family has already given you gifts, you're going to get more. Trust me. A lot more. I ended up buying a hockey bag in Winnipeg (hubby needed a new one anyway), stuffing all my stuff in that bag and keeping the other suitcase just for gifts. This wasn't glamorous at all. So plan better than I did and bring an extra suitcase - maybe 2.

4. Ask your family to stock up on basics for you. Of course, I didn't have to ask my mom. In perhaps a covert attempt to get all of us to move back to Winnipeg, she transformed her house into Casa de Archer. Not only did she get him the basics - diapers, wipes, diaper cream, nursing pillow - she bought a Pack n' Play, a playmat and a goofy but cute chair that does all sorts of things that Archer's minimalist chair (which nicely matches our furniture) does not and which I think explains why he now cries every time I put him in said minimalist chair. I will be putting said minimalist chair on Craigslist soon. Damn you Fischer Price and your fun colourful ways! Damn you! :)

5. Before you leave, set your downtown dad up with Skype. I bought a $34.99 webcam from Future Shop, downloaded Skype from http://www.skype.com/ and then did the same on the other side at my parents' house - which of course now comes in handy post-trip. We got to talk every day and he got to say all his gooey stuff to Archer so he didn't totally forget Dad. I'm not sure Archer understood what was going on like at all- but no matter. We felt better about the time away. Well, at least I did. I suspect Dad may have a different view on this.

6. Make sure you and your little dude fly in style. Apparently in the good ol' days at the beginning of airline travel, people really did it up to travel. Based on the pic above, flying used to be quite the event (there, I've now made the picture relevant despite the fact that it does not feature a baby). Even I remember as a kid it being a big deal to plan our "plane outfit". Not sure I totally understand this tradition but being a downtown mama, I really like it. Yes, you have to be comfortable but that doesn't mean you have to look like you just got out of bed - unless you are a baby - but even then, babies can look super stylish right? Archer wore Joe Fresh sleepers with planes on them that all the fly attendants just loved and couldn't have been cooler.

So, these are my thoughts on travelling. We had an amazing trip and are already planning the next one. If you need more info - like packing lists, airline rules for travelling with babies - check out the blog Have Baby Will Travel at http://www.havebabywilltravel.com/.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shoutout!

    So glad your trip was a success and I LOVE the fact you thought out your son's flying outfit! We always used to "dress" for flying - my mom would sport a rockin' pantsuit and I'd be dressed up too.

    ReplyDelete