About

Friday, August 28, 2009

The late summer, early fall, reason to head to the mall (like you needed one), DM look...




The weather in Toronto has been, in a word, weird. One day, Archer and I are dying from the heat, the next day, we're contemplating taking out our fall sweaters (yes, Archer already has fall sweaters, whatever) and cuddling by the fire...

One thing I do know is that it's time that we reconsider what we're wearing. This is partly, of course, due to the fact that I'm starting to lust over all of the early fall clothes that are hitting the stores. It's also Joe Fresh's fault. Their commercials are playing a million times during the day - highlighting some great pieces for the fall - all at a fraction of their designer counterparts.

Whatever the reason, it's time to mix it up a little.

Transitional season dressing is all about keeping a little of what you had from the summer and introducing a new piece here and there to account for the changing weather. For the DM, it also always means making sure the outfit is nursing friendly, comfortable, flattering to her post-baby bod and of course, fabulous (that goes without saying, no?).

And so, where am I looking to for my inspiration? None other than Mary-Kate Olsen.

Yes, you read that right. MK Olsen.
So, you're right, she's not a mama, she shouldn't probably be a mama anytime soon, but there's no denying that although she sometimes looks a little silly, we can all take a cue from our pint sized Full House fashionista.

In particular, for this time of year, trade-in your sundress for an oversized plaid shirt, an MK signature look. You can pair said shirt with skinny jeans, longer baggy jean shorts or my preference, the standby black leggings. I'm keeping my gladiator sandals on and my favourite accessories.

There are a lot of great deals on the oversized plaid shirt right now - if you have money to burn, and are a sucker, heck, check out MK's own line, Elizabeth & James. For $300 you too can look like a sexy lumberjack. Who doesn't wasn't look like that?


I'm kidding. I promise you won't look like a lumberjack (not that there's anything wrong with that). But don't spend $300, downtown mamas. You know this look will be a little short-lived and there are some great lower-priced options out there. Take a look at this great plaid shirt at Joe Fresh for a mere $24. I don't really like how they've styled it here but I've seen (ermm, bought) the shirt and I can attest to its perfection.


I also really like this Old Navy one which is a little more feminine which I think is important to keep in pulling off this look when you're a little older (not that any of us are...). This one is $26.50 and comes in a few colours although I like the blue best.
More fall fashion tips soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment