About

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Art of Window Shopping

I was never a huge fan of Yorkville. Since I moved to Toronto it never lived up to its hype. It has always been billed by Toronto as *the place to shop and the area to see and be seen. I mostly thought it was overpriced and overrated.

But with the arrival of Anthropologie - the big sister to Urban Outfitters - as well as the opening of the flagship store of designer fave, Teatro Verde, things are looking up for Yorkville.

Problem is, with only my precious E.I. cheque, I can really afford none of what Yorkville has to offer.

No matter though. That is where window shopping comes into play for the downtown mama.

But isn't window shopping kind of a tease? Maybe but it's time for a change of attitude and now I see window shopping as a challenge - can I be inspired by the tony offerings of Yorkville and then go find a realistic purchase at a more affordable price point?

And apart from that challenge window shopping is a great way to spend the day with Archer.

Yesterday Archer and I went to Yorkville and we had a blast (well, until we had to make a mad dash to our car in the face of yet another torrential downpour). Coffee in hand we walked up and down Yorkville Avenue (Cumberland is pretty unfriendly stroller-wise, fyi) and not only saw some great things for fall but we also practically became best friends with Dan and Dean Caten of uber design-house, D Squared.

Ok, so I totally exaggerate on that last point. We saw Dean and Dan sitting on the patio at One at Hazelton Hotel and I'm pretty sure they saw Archer and me and said to each other - "Wow, what great style they have - we should *totally be friends with them." That makes sense, right? I thought so.

Anthropologie did not disappoint. It is a store made for the downtown mama (or maybe the downtown mama with a sugar daddy). Great flowy modern dresses, lots of colour and beautiful accessories. I was inspired by this dress and am on a mission to find its less expensive counterpart. How nursing friendly would this be? And if I find this, I'm going to pull out my vintage boots that look like these riding boots from Anthropologie. I think this would be a look that our new best friends Dean and Dan would totally approve of.
So, a few tips for window shopping? If you are heading to an area like Yorkville, take transit. Parking is ridiculously expensive and you should be using this money toward the new outfit you may be inspired to by. Second, take some time out to people watch. Areas like Yorkville provide endless amusement. I'm looking forward in particular to going back to Yorkville during the Toronto Film Festival when things get even crazier and more fun. Finally, have some attitude when you go window shopping. Sometimes areas like Yorkville are intimidating but don't be! You have every right to be there as much as the next mama - even if she is more uptown than downtown.

No comments:

Post a Comment