About

Monday, October 26, 2009

Winter Resolutions for this Downtown Mama

Seeing Archer stand like in this picture - nay, practically walking across the room (what?, it could happen), was a serious wake up call for me. In my mind, he literally went from laying like a little lump of cuteness in my arms, to this full-on, semi-mobile little man - I mean, let's not get crazy. He's not ready for like Harvard or Vancouver 2010 yet - as is indicated by the fact that he is sitting beside me right now, trying to turn the pages of his book with his feet (note to self: I should actually read more)... but you get the picture, right?

I sort of get why women talk about wanting another baby right away (note I say "sort of get" - no one here is having another baby anytime soon) - that real baby time goes by soooo fast. It doesn't seem that way in the first 6 weeks or so where you literally feel like you might have a complete mental and physical breakdown at any given moment and you literally watch the clock tick by second by second - but this phase passes *really quickly and before you know it, it's almost time for you to go back to work!

Which is why, I think it's important at the 5 month stage (which is next week) to refocus. This refocusing also comes as winter is upon us - where the days of walking around outside freely with your little guy may be coming to an end. And as such, I've come up with some new Downtown Mama resolutions that may or may not help you too. These resolutions will hopefully maximize your quality time with your guy while helping you stay sane. Heck, hopefully they help you and me to have a little fun...

1. Adopt a New Downtown Mama - Right now all sorts of really cool women are having babies around me. A good friend had a little girl last week, another is due next week, another a couple weeks from now... I plan on making sure at least one of these new DMs enjoys this time. Whether it be dropping by their homes in the early days when it's hard to get out just for a little visit, or picking them up to go for a walk around the mall, adopting a new mama for your own helps you get out of your own rut - you have a purpose and a friend. Don't overwhelm the new mama but offer your support, company and help as much as you can.

2. Engage More with My Moms Group - I have paid my membership dues but really haven't done much with my local mom's group (to find one for you check Meetup.com). That's going to change as the weather changes. Mom's groups give you solid plans for activities and some new perspectives.

3. Do a little local sightseeing - I'm embarrassed to say that I've never been to the CN Tower. I've lived in Toronto for like 12 years. What's my problem? I remember thinking that a friend I had from NYC who said he'd never gone to the Statue of Liberty was craaaazy. And now I'm that crazy person. In the time I have left, Archer and I are going to the CN Tower, the ROM, the AGO and whatever other sight there is to see. I noticed a pass for $59 off the ROM website that gets you into like 5 major Toronto sight seeing destinations. And of course for those who have the flexibility, there are some free nights for major tourist destinations too. I can't just go to a mall every time I need to get out. I wanna be able to tell Archer of all the fun things we did when we had this time together and it seems to me that winter is a perfect time to do stuff like this.

4. Host a playdate - In line with a few things mentioned above, I have yet to have other moms and babies over for a playdate. I've gone to a few but now it's time to give back.

5. Engage less with the office - I confess I've been bad. I talk to someone at the office *almost every day. It's coming to an end though and while I love my buddies at work, I need to draw some boundaries. It's my own darn fault. I can't stay away and in the back of my mind I worry about what will happen to my career if I don't stay connected - but the remainder of my time with Archer has to be one in which I am present with him as much as possible and that means getting off the phone when I'm nursing, not checking email every day when I can be playing with him and not stressing out over anything work related. This time with your little guy or girl is a gift and there's nothing unfeminist about focusing on what your job is now and doing your best at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment