About

Friday, September 11, 2009

And you thought diaper creme was just for bums...

Bums.

Funny word. 

Funny body part.

And now the topic of  today's posting. Well, not really but it does give me the excuse to pass on this strange but true advice with the word bums in the title of this posting. And well, it's Friday and I'm super tired (I thought we agreed that you were sleeping through the night now, Archer) so this is all I am capable of blogging about today.  

Yesterday when I was at a hair salon with a good friend I ran into an esthetician - Bea - that I used to see at a very tony Yorkville spa. This spa gave *the best facials in the city. I first learned about them through my sis who takes her skin care extremely seriously and those who take their skin care seriously went to this spa.

Problem was it was ridiculously expensive. Worth every penny but on top of the $150 for the facial (it was in fairness a 2 hour facial) it was impossible.... impossible.... to walk out of that spa without spending another $200 on skin care products. This was all because of Bea and her relentless sales tactics. You'd be all zen coming out of the facial and then Bea would start - she would tell you while you were getting ready to pay why you were basically crazy if you didn't buy this cream or that exfoliant. And trouble was most of the products were like really good. It was a vicious cycle and was becoming a very expensive habit so you might understand why I was particularly happy when I got pregnant only to discover I no longer needed any of these products because all of a sudden, my skin was, well, in a word, perfect.

Did you experience this? It was amazing. Never had a pimple, was always kinda glowy (without being greasy) and any suggestion of a wrinkle was filled out by all the extra collagen you produce while pregnant.

It was a great excuse to break the habit of Bea and the Yorkville spa.

But alas all good things come to an end and I now sit here writing this with two massive pimples on my face. My friend T told me that literally the day after she gave birth she felt like she had aged 10 years. All the pretty plumpness in her skin was gone.

So you must understand... here's me in this zit-filled vulnerable state, walking into the hair salon (with T incidentally) in Liberty Village - far away from Yorkville... and there was Bea.

I panicked. My heart started racing. Oh no! What is she doing out here (new job)! How am I going to get outta here without committing to 10 facials and like $1000 of skin care! I'm weak, I'm pimply and totally sleep deprived! Ack!

Well two good things then happened. First, I almost immediately told Bea - like randomly, it was awkward - that I had no money to spend on facials now that I wasn't working (just confronted the problem head on, you know?) and then Bea revealed to me that she too had just had a baby! So she understood my predicament entirely... she also told me her baby was a "baby model" which was weird and has nothing to do with anything but I just thought I'd share that.

In any event...  did all of this mean she was going to let me out of the salon without addressing the 2 pimples that had invaded my face? Not Bea. 

She said that right now - I guess until I have some money again and I can be a sucker and spend ridiculous amounts of money on skin care? I'm not actually sure of the expiration on this advice - I should just use a little diaper cream like Desitin on my pimples and after washing my face before going to bed (note to self: start washing my face before going to bed... whatever, don't judge) I should spread a thin layer of said diaper cream on my face. She said that this was all she used right after she had her baby and that it immediately took care of her pimple problems and generally improved the overall appearance of her skin. 

Huh. You don't say. 

I can't attest to the fact of whether or not this works yet (I was too tired last night to do this before bed....) but I pass the advice on to you so we can experiment together. Or not. Up to you.

Have a great weekend mamas.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Christina....I've been following your blog and you are hilarious! Don't have to be a new mom to enjoy your stuff. You inspired me...I am blogging too. It's kind of cathartic, isn't it??

    Nice to see Archer growing up too....

    ReplyDelete