About

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Yay Bay!



We almost drove to Buffalo to buy Archer's crib.

I'm not kidding. It sounds crazy, but when you start looking for baby furniture, you too may realize that there aren't a lot of choices out there for a crib that will work in a modern space.

Oh sure, if you want to spend $1500 you can get a beautiful crib by Oeuf or Netto. But literally the only option I could find for a crib that I liked - sort of - was at Ikea and I have to tell you that I while I intellectually know that they must spend a million hours safety testing all of their children's furniture, it just didn't seem sturdy or stable to me. I kept on thinking of every piece of Ikea furniture I have had throughout my life and visions of a baby in a wobbly crib that I put together myself just didn't work for me.

And trust me, I checked like everywhere else for a well-priced modern crib. Everywhere. And there was nothing. If I wanted to put Archer in a princess-themed room or a pirate-themed room there were lots of choices. And there's nothing wrong with that. Clearly, a lot of people like this sorta thing. But not me.

So why Buffalo? Because Buffalo has Target where they carry a whole line of modern cribs by Dwell Studio. Heck, even the US Walmart's carry a line called BabyMod that has amazing options. Check out this crib for $299 US. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8810319. You can order it online and have it shipped to any store you want.

We were about to make that order for a BabyMod crib and make a trip to Buffalo when at last minute, when I was obsessively searching Craigslist, the stars aligned. At the same time that I was searching Craigslist someone posted a "barely used" oval Stokke crib for $300. These cribs are upwards of $1500 new so this was literally the best deal ever.

If you're looking for a modern crib, you should check Craigslist because they do come up from time to time and remember that when you're done with your crib, if it's in good shape and it's not subject to a recall (which you should always check before buying or selling baby stuff on Craigslis), you can repost it and get some of you money back. Good stuff goes really fast.

But now you have another choice.

Yesterday I went to the Bay in downtown Toronto. I went there after seeing a Cityline fashion show which showed some great clothes and accessories at the Bay (and weirdly when I was there I saw Lynn Spence who clearly has not left the store since they did that episode of Cityline). I hardly ever go to the Bay anymore and I have to tell you, you should check it out if you haven't been for a while. They have some great stuff right now. Their accessories were incredible and well priced.

And lo and behold, on a trip to the baby section of the store, I saw an amazing modern crib for $499 which is featured above. We looked at the Bay before Archer was born and this crib was not there. If it had been, we would have bought it for sure. The crib is part of a whole set that includes a dresser and a dresser/change table combo.

I realize this post comes a little too late for all of you DMs but if you know someone who is pregnant, pass this on. I know, I would have wanted to know about this!

No comments:

Post a Comment