About

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I would like to party vicariously through you...

Around this time of year, when the weather starts getting a little crisper and cooler, I start to become nostalgic about university. I think a lot of us feel this... I don't want to do it again (I still have those exam nightmares when you show up - late - for an exam and you find out its a math exam and of course, you never took math) but I have fond memories of it.
This year, it's a little strange because I'm finding myself also feeling quite nostalgic about... ermm...partying. In particular Toronto International Film Festival Partying.

Because of what I do in my other job (other than my current Downtown Mama job) I am fortunate enough to sometimes get invited to TIFF parties... not like any of the A-list parties (who gets invited to the InStyle party anyway?) but some pretty fun ones. Ones that give me a great excuse every year to try and find THE PRETTIEST DRESS EVER.

I think I've been pretty successful at it too... I remember the pretty olive green silk Theory dress I wore to the Citytv party a couple years ago and the Philip Lim 3.1 navy backless number I found last year (which I got to wear for a whole month before I found out I was pregnant with Archer). I don't particularly remember much of the actual parties... other than in general that they were a little overrated - but I remember the dresses. Getting ready for me is actually more fun than going to the parties. But I'm weird like that.

I won't be going to any parties this year... unless they are between the hours of 7-9pm (I can't stay up any later than that), have plenty of available places to sit (my back is too sore to stand up in heels for any length of time) and they serve Guiness Beer (which is the only alcohol I will really drink while nursing since I've convinced myself that it is actually good to drink Guiness while nursing - if you don't know about this, btw, google it after your done reading.

I thought I'd be ok with my decision to be TIFF-party free until I walked into French Connection at Sherway Gardens.

You wouldn't think that either Sherway Gardens or any given store would evoke nostalgia for great parties but if you haven't seen the dresses that FC has out for Fall 2009, you are missing out. There are *so many dresses to choose from as part of their collection that I wouldn't have been able to select just one. And although they're not dirt cheap, they're much less expensive than their designer counterparts and quality-wise, they are top notch.

This dress for $178 came in a mustard yellow that I just loved. The picture doesn't give it justice but it is a wool blend mini dress and there is a thick inside out zipper at the back. It will also suit a lot of figures.


There was a gold backless dress that I couldn't find a picture of that will literaly knock the socks off anyone who sees you in it and I also like this avant-garde grey and gold number that seems like just enough of a statement for a film festival. This dress is only $148.

The dress featured at the top will not suit a lot of figures but it's so cute. If you are petite, preferably with a pixie cut, have an invite to a great party (TIFF or not) buy it! Incidentally, I have noticed that like *everything is one-shouldered this year. Even walking by LuluLemon, there was a one-shouldered workout top, which seems very impractical but maybe not.
Wonder if there is such a thing as a one-shouldered nuring bra. Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment