About

Friday, July 24, 2009

Oh boyfriend jean... how you taunt me...


Remember a couple posts ago when I expressed some passive disdain for the ubiquitous boyfriend jean?


Well, I bought a pair yesterday.


You must understand... I was in Urban Outfitters. I friggin love UO. I know I'm really slightly too old for this store but I get overwhelmed when I'm in there by how right-on they are with all things fashion... And then I saw the jeans, followed by a really cool sales girl with the jeans on, I hearkened back to my drink with my sister at the Beaconsfield a couple weeks ago when I saw more cool girls wearing the jeans... and then I was like, "I'll never fit a pair of non-maternity jeans yet...I think... I mean I couldn't... so it wouldn't hurt to try them on just to see how ridiculous they look on me, right?"


Next thing you know, I'm in the change room, trying them on and they freakin' fit. That fact alone is enough excuse, right? But I also kinda liked them. And then the justifications begin - since of course, they are totally out of budget range for this downtown mama... "well, I need jeans that fit that aren't maternity, right?" or "these are good because they're cool but kinda ratty which is good for a new mom, right?" and "these will totally carry me into fall".


Moral of the story? Really, don't always listen to my fashion tips. I'm prone to hypocrisy and clearly could lead you down the wrong path. I fully expect to regret this decision at a later point.


But right now, as I sit here in said jeans, and feeling less guilt because I just sold my Rock and Republic maternity jeans on Craigslist (a great way of redeeming such impulse buys for a downtown mama), I am pretty pleased with myself.
Go ahead, judge if you must.

2 comments:

  1. heart boyfriend jeans, glad you came over the good side, where wearing something baggy and ratty is somehow fashionable and chic

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now I might just keep mine. I bought a pair at Old Navy the other day but Eryn didn't think I should wear them - what does she know -I think they look good.

    ReplyDelete