About

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Stuff to Do... Movies for Mommies

Ok, so confession. It really sort of bugs me when some sort of event or activity for new parents has the word "mommy" in it. I mean, if they were really marketing to Archer, fine, use "mommy". But I think they're usually marketing to me and for some reason going from being a lawyer, a director, an executive, a woman a month ago to being a "mommy" today really rubs me the wrong way. "Mama" I clearly like and for some reason I see differently. It's groovy. I like groovy.

But fine.

What doesn't rub me the wrong way is a great activity to get you out of the house which goes to my Downtown Mama Rule #3: As soon as you can, unless you or baby is sick, get out of the house every single day. Really, there should be no exceptions.

But what to do? It's almost as difficult as planning a weekly dinner menu. So check out this blog for ideas. And I'll be asking friends for ideas and will pass them on to you.

Today a friend (another groovy mama) and I went to a movie. Like, a current movie. Not a movie in one of our homes on a DVD. A movie in an actual theatre. Ok, so the movie sucked (Easy Virtue starring... ermmm Jessica Biel in a period piece - *yeaah) but we ate popcorn, sat in theatre seats, all while nursing along side other nursing moms, with a change table outside the doors, with free diapers, organic wipes, free organic jars of food for you to take with you... and I even won a baby book in a draw. A little crying and cooing is totally ok and the sound is turned down a fair amount so it doesn't hurt the little ones' ears.

All courtesy of Movies for Mommies which has organized screenings for new parents in theatres across Canada. Soooo awesome and definitely something that can be part of your weekly routine that will remind you of your former self. I *love that and will therefore forgive their event name choice. And there's a better movie next week - Away We Go. I hear it's great.

Check out their website to see what movies are playing in your neck of the woods.

http://www.moviesformommies.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment